Monday, April 27, 2015

(2) Do you ever have class?

That is the question that I have been asked several times since being in the Czech Republic. The answer is yes! While staying in Olomouc I attend Palacký University the second oldest university in the Czech Republic. Similar to UNK different departments are based in different buildings. The architecture of the buildings is beautiful. Many of them being quite historical such as the main library that was the Theresian Artillery armory.

I attend class in the Department of History building. My classes consist of lectures from guest speakers, czech language, and more lectures from our academic coordinators Martin Elbel and Jan Stejskal. Our guest speakers are usually teachers within the history department and other related departments on campus such as Political Studies and Sociology. On a regular dat we attend three classes back to back, from 3:00pm to 7:15pm. This has taken some getting used to because typically my classes are more spread out and I usually scheduled them in the morning. It has also been a transition for me to go from hands on art classes to lectures. The lectures are quite fascinating! I am enjoying learning about the history of the country where some of ancestors came from and to learn the language they spoke.

Along with my lectures we have field-trips. This is why many people ask if I actually go to class. These aren't the kinds of field-trips you went on when you were in grade school. As a class we travel to different cities to see historical sites that correspond with what we are learning about with the history of the Czech Republic and other European countries. Going to the sites and seeing what we are learning about makes learning easier and more fun.

I must not forget that this blog is another one of my course. It may not seem like a very important one but it is because years down the road I'll be able to look back and read about My Czech Adventures!

My new Palacký University T-shirt!

Notes from guest lectures.



Czech Language class.

No comments:

Post a Comment