Monday, May 4, 2015

(5) "Toto I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore"

It should really say "I don't think we're in Nebraska anymore" but what I am trying to say is that the Czech Republic/Europe is quite different than Nebraska/United States. There are many cultural difference that I have noticed. I was shocked at first by many of them but since being here for a 1.5 months I have gotten quite used to them.

One of the biggest difference is transportation. In the United States we are so used to getting in our car and driving ourselves where we need to go. In the Czech Republic and throughout Europe public transportation is used by a large portion of the population. I have grown quite accustom to using trains, trams, and busses. Everyday I use the tram system to get to and from class or to various areas in town. The hardest part about the trams was reading the schedules. As you can see in the photo it is in military time, which I learned how to read since being here. Another main way to get around town is to walk. It's not uncommon to walk over 5 miles in a day. There were several trips by the end of the day we had walked over 10 miles!
Afternoon Tram schedule.

Walking is our main form of transportation.
Another large difference which has taken me the longest to get used to is that water isn't free. Typically when you go out to a restaurant in the United States water is free, but here you have to pay for it. Fun Fact: It's cheaper to order a beer than water in some places. Many of us were so excited when we received free water on the trains. It's funny how something so simple that we don't really ever consider becomes a became a big deal. 

One of the funniest difference that many of us experienced as soon as we landed happened in the bathroom. We found out that you never really know where the flusher might be. Sometimes it's a string above your head, a button on the wall or top of the toilet or a pedal on the floor. Whatever the case maybe, it just takes you a little longer to find it!

Two things that have shocked me the most is how many people smoke and people with pets (mostly dogs). I am not sure if it's because in Nebraska you are not allowed to smoke inside that I don't notice the amount of people that smoke or if more people in Europe smoke. It seems like everywhere you go there are always people smoking and pubs or clubs are typically filled with smoke. Something else that shocked me is the amount of people who have dogs. It's also not uncommon that you take your dog on the trams or into stores. I am not sure if it is a law but many of the dogs you see usually have a muzzle on. I think I prefer animals being inside compared to smoking inside. 

These are just a few of the cultural difference that have stood out the most to me. There are others such as that you bring your own bag for groceries at the store, you don't typically ask how someone is doing (they will answer with a very honest answer), it's not uncommon to see people drinking early in the day or even in the streets (open container laws aren't enforced), you don't always tip, and many more. As on now I am quite used to the differences and I am very comfortable here. I am anxious to see how I will feel when I return home if I will experience some culture shock. For now I won't worry about it too much, there are several more adventures ahead to think about! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment