Monday, April 20, 2015

(1) My Home Away from Home


 It is crazy to me to think that I have been in the Czech Republic for over a month now. The town of Olomouc, that had never heard of before, has become my home away from home and my flat mates and my roommate are now my family. 


Thibault and I.
My roommate/little sister, Billy and I.
Luca and I.


But daily life here is a little different than back in the states. To start off, with my class schedule I am finding out what it's like to sleep in!  I usually still don't get more than 8 hours of sleep because I end up being up later than usual, whether I am out with friends or FaceTiming my family. When I am not wasting the day away in bed I am out exploring the city. What I would normally do back in Kearney is get in my car and drive where ever I wanted to go, but that's not the case here. Trams, busses, taxi's and my own two feet get me where I need to go. Surprisingly the public transpiration was easy to figure out and use. I typically use the tram system to get me to and from class. 

Something else that surprised me was how well I sleep in my bed. My mattress is literally 6 inches thick but oddly comfortable! I guess it has to be small to fit in our small bedroom. Typically a small room doesn't bother me but when there are two girls in here it tends to get a little cramped. We just have so much stuff. If I could change one thing about my flat is the size of the kitchen. If you know me you know that I love to cook. That has become a challenge during my time here. As you can see in the picture the kitchen is quite small. To throw another wrench into it, finding groceries to cook with is also a challenge. For groceries I usually walk to Globus which is similar to Walmart in America. When looking for a specific item you never know where your going to find it. You can try to ask someone where it is but not very many of the workers understand english. Grocery shopping becomes it's own adventure! 

My bed!
My tiny kitchen.



Daily life here in Olomouc may not be as thrilling as traveling the rest of Europe but I long for it when I am away. After traveling for the past two weeks I was excited to get back to Olomouc and I was greeted with smiles and hugs from my flatmates. Olomouc is my home and I wouldn't have it any other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment